@janneman and @dhariwal,

I agree with most of your remarks. About code quality: my vision is that Fabien
is a bit like an artist: he got the overall architecture extremely right where
so many team of engineers failed before and are yet to fail. In one way in
invented the Ruby on Rails productivity for the legacy ERP world and got a
respectable set reusable modules running upon that.

Fine, now, may be like an artist, he lacked a lot of rigor in the day to day
implementation and so did others from Tiny (obscur commit messages like
"modifs", variables names such as "todo" come directly from him). Meaning
inside the good architecture there are a lot of coding errors, poor respect of
conventions (naming, coding, PEP8, English, Terminology...), poor enforcing of
test first approach...

Because the scope has gone very large upon that basis which is still far from
perfect, I hope this is at least acknowledged by Tiny at least toward the
community members proposing merges, work and ideas.

Acknowledging it and teaming with the community to fix it is an reasonable
perspective, but it as to be done. Otherwise OpenERP will reach a quality
asymptote were one bug fix lead to one regression and no feature can be added
with an acceptable compatibility / without regressions. I've seen so many
softwares trapped at that asymptote, I don't want to invest in one that will be
trapped here too before even it can turn a mass market product.

Raphaël Valyi

CEO and OpenERP consultant at
http://www.akretion.com

http://www.openobject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50481#50481