On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 21:40, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:57, Age Mooy wrote:
> >

> >>Great ! That's exactly what I meant.
> >>Is this going to be in the b9 release ?
> >>

> >I doubt the full dependency resolution will be in beta-9. We need to
> >start pushing POMs into the repository. Once there we can build a
> >database of anything related to projects. The top on my list is the
> >dependency graph of all projects.
> >

> What are your thoughts on handling compile-time vs test-time vs run-time
> dependencies. I appreciate the existing dependency system, it's a lot
> better than ant with no dependencies at all, but it'd be nice to be able
> to differentiate between the various uses somehow.

Dependencies can state types so we could do anything we like really. The
default type is of 'jar' but we could use a type of 'test'. In the POM
currently there is no distinction between compile-time and test-time.
This could be changed easily. As for run-time, this is simply the
aggregration of compile-time dependencies of the dependencies stated in
the source POM.

But we could definitely mark them as I don't want to leave people
crippled when there are problems with the resolution mechanism. You will
always be able to state things as verbosely as you wish so maybe a
'run-time' type could be added for those who don't want to use the
transitive dependency resolution mechanism.

The general rule of thumb I follow is to make things as convenient and
easy as possible but always allow full verbosity and final control in
the POM so a project can decide what they want to do and aren't whacked
by any magic behaviour.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]