On Jul 12, 2008, at 2:43 AM, de Villamil Frédéric wrote:
Don't apologize, this is quite interesting. One of my jobs as a QA manager is just to get feedback from unsatisfied users in order to improve the application, and you just seem to fit the role. So please, tell me more, I'm really looking forward reading what can be improved here. I would have prefered a patch, but some feedback will be OK too.

--
Frédéric de Villamil

Well, Robert was replying to me; it's my frustration with Typo he's addressing.

My first real issue with it is the complexity of its installation, and the requirements it imposes if you want to run it on the same box with Apache (i.e., the proxying thing with Mongrel). I found little in the way of informative installation instructions; mostly I saw step-by- step guides that explained nothing beyond "do A, B, and C".

But that's a basic architecture thing. The Typo leaders decided to build it this way, despite the extra complexity it demands over a traditional LAMP-stack-in-a-VHost type deployment. Mileage varies, and all that.

My major complaints with Typo itself are three-fold:

First, that it does not play nice with MarsEdit or any other local blogging client. I'm coming to Typo from a long-term Blosxom install where I wrote in TextMate and rsync'd my posts, and picked Typo because I thought I'd be able to use ME or even TM's own blogging bundle. Unfortunately, neither categories nor tags work properly via these clients, pushing me back into the web editor. That's annoying. I have the online features I wanted but couldn't get with Blosxom (mostly comment-related), but have lost functionality w/r/t my actual posting mechanism.

Second, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my feeds to work; see my other posts for more information there.

Third, it's not at all clear to me how to upgrade. I thought I'd done it, but my site still reports an old version number.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated! I'd prefer to avoid WordPress and Moveable Type given what I know about either platform, but my frustrations with Typo make staying with it a challenge.

Best,

Chet Farmer
Houston, TX

---
"Don't let your mongoose get cold or dirty, or it will die."
(Animals as Friends and How to Keep Them, by Shaw & Fisher, Dent 1939)