On Jul 12, 2008, at 5:02 PM, de Villamil Frédéric wrote:

Well, Robert was replying to me; it's my frustration with Typo he's addressing.

2 feedbacks are still better than one, thank you for yours

Hey, glad to. BTW, I'm gonna go ahead and address this:

Hope this will, haven't written a so long mail in English for ages, hope I didn't do too much mistakes

Your English is very, very good. I don't have any trouble understanding you.

My first real issue with it is the complexity of its installation, and the requirements it imposes if you want to run it on the same box with Apache (i.e., the proxying thing with Mongrel). I found little in the way of informative installation instructions; mostly I saw step-by-step guides that explained nothing beyond "do A, B, and C".

There are actually lots of way to run Typo, or any Rails app. Let's say :
– Apache + mongrel
– Apache + mod_rails (my favourite, and the easiest way imho, just run mod_rails 1.5 since 1.9 and beyond have issues with the memory). Check at http://typosphere.org/2007/08/26/install-typo#apache_modrails
– Apache + fastcgi
– Nginx + thin
– Nginx + mongrel
– Lighttpd + thin
– Ligthtpd + mongrel
– Lighttpd + fastcgo

And I may forget some of them.

Well, if there's some great documentation for installing it under mod_rails, I'd love to see it -- I'll check out the link you provide. I just didn't find much along those lines when I went to install Typo initially. Right now, it's on a Slicehost instance with no Apache, but I'd love to be able to run other stuff under an Apache instance there.

But that's a basic architecture thing. The Typo leaders decided to build it this way, despite the extra complexity it demands over a traditional LAMP-stack-in-a-VHost type deployment. Mileage varies, and all that.

The traditionnal LAMP stack implies you're using PHP. Typo is Ruby on Rails, and thus, was a bit more difficult to deploy until recently. Check mod_rails at http://modrails.com, these guys may help you going to simplicity LAMR-in-a-vhost.

Sure, but "LAMP" has been extended to mean most Linux + Apache + (some open source DB) + (some interprested language). I've seen stuff with Perl or Python plus Postgres referred to as "LAMP" b/c the installation was a simple matter of bringing up another virtual host under apache and installing the right module. Follow?

Typo is part of a whole different tradition (the Rails world). I don't fault it just because of that; I just dislike the additional complexity.

My major complaints with Typo itself are three-fold:

First, that it does not play nice with MarsEdit or any other local blogging client.

It's at the same time a bug AND an absent feature.
– The categories issue has been fixed in the trunk and this will be in the next release, if not already (I'm damn too much lazy to check now) – The tags is a missing feature, mostly because the guy who added them was not blogging using an external client and then didn't think about them. I myself never used such a client until recently, for debugging purpose. And guess what, it was for the above point.

So should I expect both of these to get resolved, or no?

Second, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my feeds to work; see my other posts for more information there.

We've been having lots of cache issues which have been fixed in the trunk, and the lateste release as well. Try to manually remove your feed files from public/. It should be articles.rss or articles.atom, don't know which ones you use. These bugs made me realize I really should extend our tests coverage.

Well, doing so brought my feeds up to date, but the feed fell behind again the minute I posted something new -- i.e., new articles don't show up in the feed, so the problem is still there.

Does Typo not have a 100% dynamic mode?

Third, it's not at all clear to me how to upgrade. I thought I'd done it, but my site still reports an old version number.

It's actually pretty easy. I've always written doc on how to install Typo, not about how to upgrade it. Another thing added to my TODO list before the next release. I wish days were 50 hours.

Don't know how you installed typo, but you can just unpack Typo in your current directory and have it overwrite your old apps files. Restart your application and run rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=production if you're running in production mode (and please, do it, it's VERY important since you won't be able for that time to access the database upgrade page in your admin)

How can I verify my Typo version?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated! I'd prefer to avoid WordPress and Moveable Type given what I know about either platform, but my frustrations with Typo make staying with it a challenge.

I stopped using wordpress which I was a contributor since the B2 era for typo because I was so much pissed off with it.

Honestly, the real alternative isn't WP. It's either MT or Drupal.

Chet
----
"An educated public is exactly what they don't want . . . more people believe in angels than believe in long division." R. Norris 31 May 2006