It is consistent to the dumbing down of our society, which
is not necessarily a bad thing. All modern cars are built for
"idiots" to use. If these same "idiots" think they know how
to use a computer (as they think that they are really drivers)
then there is some overall benefit.

The prices of computers and the internet are as low as they
are because so many otherwise incapacitated users buy them.
If Bill Gates hadn't been a complete idiot about software, the
machines we get for $300 today may have never come into
existence...

Personally, I look forward to the day of the return of the 24x80
CRT... but know I am in the minority.. for me the GUI is only
something that gets in the way of me being productive.

I was not arguing any of these cases - I was simply trying to argue for replacing one tool for a better one.

I'm so sorry that I bother to even try - only one person has approached this with any sort of helpfulness with a nice link to an ongoing discussion of the sort - the rest have been assholes.