On 04/09/2013 08:21 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
<snip>
Maybe I was not very explicit - all console applications are "niche"
on the Ubuntu (gui) Desktop. And vice versa, gui-desktop applications
are nice on the Ubuntu (console) Server.

We have aptitude seeded where console is the default interface.

On ubuntu-desktop the default interface is unity with preferred
package management using:
- dash application scope
- software updater
- software center

Depending on the use-case/goal one uses one or combination of above.

I don't understand - why don't we just remove apt-get and make users install via the software center? Why not add-apt-repository, scp, top? My suggestion was just to add aptitude because it's the recommended package-management tool from the community that basically makes all the packages possible for this project.

So the drawbacks of including aptitude seem to be:

1) It takes up 2 MB of space
2) Dependency resolution might have to actually be tested (instead of making every stupid package just depend on ubuntu-desktop or xorg?). ;)

On Ubuntu Desktop we want to discourage usage of command line =) as
there is no need for that for non-developers.

I see, so an OS for 'everyone' shouldn't even have gnome-terminal installed at all - make people switch to a VT (and why hasn't that been disabled by default? I'd bet my life savings that every user has accidentally hit CTRL+ALT+F1 at least once on their Ubuntu use - now THAT'S an issue to really actively prevent). There are some strange priorities set based on these phobias. Again, I'm not suggesting an arbitrary specialized tool like vim/emacs get included, I'm suggesting the addition of the endorsed CLI package management tool from the Debian project be included. So if the project were to (understandably) want to include only one CLI tool to use, why not aptitude? As stated, it's already officially supported on ubuntu-server, why not include it on ubuntu-desktop and drop apt-get to reduce a package to have to officially support?

And who said I was a developer? I'd only be so lucky to be able to claim that title.