Excerpts from Dale Amon's message of 2013-04-09 12:14:40 -0700:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 08:49:41PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > and why does that limit your future ? do you expect us to rip out
> > firefox or xterm from the archive ?
>
> No, I don't expect you to do anything. I am just sad about all
> the functionality of X windows that has been left behind. Simple
> things like being able to click on the screen, go to a menu
> entry and select an entirely different window manager.

install another window manager, and select it in the login screen?

> Or to
> get a 'kill' icon that you use to give the kiss of death to
> a runaway GUI program.

alt-F2, xkill...

> Some of the changes that led to gnome I like; some things in
> X I simply do not understand why they are no long available.

such as?

> Some day I might even have time to figure out how to move up
> from Oneiric without losing the mission critical functionality
> I have. More bluntly, I do not want my environment to change; I
> want new stuff but I do not want my old stuff to break. Ever.

The other day I watched the Star Trek where Mark Twain came to be in the
future, and it was so quaint the way he couldn't relate to anything new
and had to run back to the past.

Don't be an anachronism.

(Also why would you pick 11.10 if you wanted things to never change? 10.04
and 12.04 would have been much better choices)

> Not much chance of that though. I do not think there is *any*
> distribution, open source or otherwise, that promises long
> term stability. They all seem to be constantly chasing after
> the latest pretty bauble.

Or perhaps we're all just trying to solve problems.