Le 27/11/2018 12:01, André Warnier a écrit :

Rémy,

On 11/26/18 10:05, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

[...]

A corollary of this is that the error messages and the documentation
should agree with each other. Do we have French-language documentation
for this stuff?

+1
I believe that this is the important point, which I tried to
illustrate with the tongue-in-cheek example above.
+1

I must say that, although I tried to participate as much I could, I
have some reservations about this whole translation project.  And that
is because most of the original messages which I have seen, are really
"technical" and not at all oriented to a general public which may be
using applications built on tomcat, but rather to a public having to
deal specifically with tomcat Java code and tomcat configuration
files.
This public is going to need messages which they can later connect to
that code and/or to the configuration files language and/or to the
available documentation.
And let's face it : in terms of anything computer-related,
non-native-English-speakers (such as myself) lost out a long time ago,
and have had, and will have, to learn a modicum of English technical
computer language anyway, just to understand the basics of their field
of expertise.
That is not what most of us would culturally prefer, but it is a fact of life.
+1

[...]

I would go to https://translate.google.com, paste in the above
message, and instantly get :
French : "Impossible de trouver la classe principale:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap. Le programme va sortir."

German : "Die Hauptklasse konnte nicht gefunden werden:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap. Das Programm wird geschlossen."

Spanish : "No se pudo encontrar la clase principal:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap. Programa saldrá."

Polish : "Nie można znaleźć głównej klasy:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap. Program zostanie zamknięty."
(Note : I don't know anything about the Polish language, just adding
it for the fun; but also to ilustrate that the same website provides
dozens of target languages.)

The point is : are any of the above worse/better than what we get by
this current quite time-consuming one-off (but to remain relevant,
regularly repeated and maintained) translation effort, in the
perpective of the potential users of these messages ?

IMHO, you took an easy example... In a lot of cases, Google Translate was of no help when trying to translate some more difficult strings. As pointed before, the original English sentences are sometimes, hem, not Oxford English or the vocabulary really too specific.

How many times did I prefix a command with LANG=C to obtain a message I can search on Google ?
More than the finger count of all subscribers of this list, I guess...

I thought the same way as André when starting to translate strings, but I was both happy to find a way to help a bit the project. If this kind of translation might not be most useful, translating manuals seems, however, more useful.

Ludovic