On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 2:35 PM André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

> On 26.11.2018 13:29, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

> >> A single translation remains to be performed.
> >>
> >> Jump to https://poeditor.com/join/project/NUTIjDWzrl and be the one to
> >> complete the French translation. ;-)
> >>

> > Ok, you could have finished it, I was busy.
> >
> > Now we can try to harmonize terms, fixes are then easy to do with the
> > search feature
> >
> > Common ones we have right now:
> > - "socket" (usually untranslated or cleverly omitted): ?
> > - "endpoint" (for websockets, and for the Tomcat connectors, so possibly
> > two different terms): "point d'entrée" ?
>
> That sounds like exactly the opposite of "endpoint" to me.
> Although I must say that even in English, the vocabulary used in some
> reference documents
> (in particular everything to do with XML-based protocols, such as SOAP,
> SAML, OASIS and
> the like) is sometimes mysterious and counter-intuitive.
> What about "cible" here ?
> Or more literally, "point final" ?

There are two contexts for it:
- The "NIO Endpoint" (or APR, etc) that is the backend of the Tomcat
connector, it accepts the sockets and deals with the low level stuff from
there
- The WebSocket endpoint javax.websocket.RemoteEndpoint
They can have a different word, actually.

> For "socket", "soquet" (like the piece in which you insert a plug, or a
> lightbulb) sounds
> ok to me.

Hum, ok, let's forget about this one.

> > - "thread" (often it is untranslated elsewhere): "fil d'exécution" ?
> > - "membership" (that's the clustering object): "gestionnaire de membres"
> ?
>
> "Membership" refers to "le fait d'être membre", no ? "adhésion" ?
> (like "cluster members" -> "adhérents au cluster" (with the appropriate
> French
> pronounciation for "cleustère") :-)

"adhérents" sounds good good and fits some most likely, "appartenance"
likely fits some others. I'll need to look in context.

> > - "dispatch"/"dispatcher" (for the Servlet request dispatcher): ?
> >

> dépêcher / dépêcheur ?

That "répartiteur" from Emmanuel sounds better in theory, will have to see
in context.

> > And I just saw it is really "connexion" and not "connection". Oooops, I
> > thought both were ok. I guess it's the same kind of mistake with
> English-UK
> > vs English-US, where I usually hate the UK style (except in HarryP and
> > Discworld, it's part of the charm I suppose).
> >

> Maybe a note : the target audience of most of these messages is not the
> members of the
> Académie or the jury of the Prix Goncourt. Its is programmers, sysadmins
> and qualified
> tomcat/webservers users.  The translations should be helpful to them, to
> get a first idea
> of the issue and be able to search later in the on-line documentation.
> Which happens to
> be only available/up-to-date/searchable in English, no ?
>
> So I believe that a translation such as "La requête PTHT recue sur le
> soquet du connecteur
> de toile a été dépêchée au conducteur du groupe d'adhérents" may be
> stylistically correct,
> but ultimately quite counter-productive.
>
> (Sorry for the missing c cédille, can't type it here)
> (PTHT = Protocol de Transport Hyper-Texte)

PTHT :D

So I was fine with "fil d'exécution" but it's more complex too than
untranslated. So "thread/socket" it is.

> This being said, all these translations leave out what is really the main
> theme here :
> tomcat. So what about a new name too ? what about "matou" ?
> Or does this require a fourchette ?

+1 for "Apache Matou" since it's so funny :) We need to apply for a
trademark asap.

Rémy