André,

On 11/26/18 08:35, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> On 26.11.2018 13:29, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM Ludovic Pénet <l.pe...@senat.fr>
>> wrote:

>>> A single translation remains to be performed.
>>>
>>> Jump to https://poeditor.com/join/project/NUTIjDWzrl and be the
>>> one to complete the French translation. ;-)
>>>

>> Ok, you could have finished it, I was busy.
>>
>> Now we can try to harmonize terms, fixes are then easy to do with
>> the search feature
>>
>> Common ones we have right now: - "socket" (usually untranslated
>> or cleverly omitted): ? - "endpoint" (for websockets, and for the
>> Tomcat connectors, so possibly two different terms): "point
>> d'entrée" ?
>
> That sounds like exactly the opposite of "endpoint" to me. Although
> I must say that even in English, the vocabulary used in some
> reference documents (in particular everything to do with XML-based
> protocols, such as SOAP, SAML, OASIS and the like) is sometimes
> mysterious and counter-intuitive. What about "cible" here ? Or more
> literally, "point final" ?

I disagree.

An "endpoint" is a thing to which clients connect... an "entry point",
as Rémy suggests.

> For "socket", "soquet" (like the piece in which you insert a plug,
> or a lightbulb) sounds ok to me.

This sounds okay to me, thought I don't know French at all. :)

>> - "thread" (often it is untranslated elsewhere): "fil
>> d'exécution" ? - "membership" (that's the clustering object):
>> "gestionnaire de membres" ?
>
> "Membership" refers to "le fait d'être membre", no ? "adhésion" ?
> (like "cluster members" -> "adhérents au cluster" (with the
> appropriate French pronounciation for "cleustère") :-)

What would you call a list of people who belong to a certain fancy
club or society? That's the word that should be used, here.

>> - "dispatch"/"dispatcher" (for the Servlet request dispatcher):
>> ?
>>

> dépêcher / dépêcheur ?
>
>> And I just saw it is really "connexion" and not "connection".
>> Oooops, I thought both were ok. I guess it's the same kind of
>> mistake with English-UK vs English-US, where I usually hate the
>> UK style (except in HarryP and Discworld, it's part of the charm
>> I suppose).
>>

> Maybe a note : the target audience of most of these messages is not
> the members of the Académie or the jury of the Prix Goncourt. Its
> is programmers, sysadmins and qualified tomcat/webservers users.
> The translations should be helpful to them, to get a first idea of
> the issue and be able to search later in the on-line documentation.
> Which happens to be only available/up-to-date/searchable in
> English, no ?
>
> So I believe that a translation such as "La requête PTHT recue sur
> le soquet du connecteur de toile a été dépêchée au conducteur du
> groupe d'adhérents" may be stylistically correct, but ultimately
> quite counter-productive.
>
> (Sorry for the missing c cédille, can't type it here) (PTHT =
> Protocol de Transport Hyper-Texte)

HTTP should always be spelled HTTP and never PTHT, just like UTC is
always spelled UTC, even in English (where the acronym makes no sense
to Englist speakers).

I think maybe you were kidding, but ... just in case :)