I've taken the advice offered by everyone to switch to using the
VelocityViewServlet but I've got a strange error occurring which didn't
happen with VelocityServlet (or if it did, it was caught).

When I log out from my application I clear the session object by doing a
session().invalidate()
Now, when the template for the logout screen is merged by Velocity. I get
the following error;

java.lang.IllegalStateException: getAttribute: Session already invalidated

I can't understand this, I don't refer to the session object in my template
so why is the VelocityViewServlet checking the session object?  Also, why
doesn't it catch this error gracefully?

Steve