<disclaimer>i've only halfheartedly read this thread and personally
never use non-default charsets</disclaimer>

have you tried setting the default.contentType property that the VVS
looks for?

e.g.  "default.contentType=text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"

i'm half-doubting that's the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try.