On 5/16/07, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
>> Thinking about how a wiki works shows that keeping tip numbers
>> is doomed. First, there is no auto-increment id, and as you
>> point out, there is no reasonable way to automate fixes.
>
> Is there any equivalent to javascript's document.lastModified?
>
> Can create a "serial number" based on the date of submission, then
> rearrange by fields to a sortable ID, eg 2007.05.15.23.53 for a tip
> created yesterday at 23:53.
>
> Don't need dots, or hyphens, or anything, as 2007051523353 would be
> fine, too.  The odds of having 2 tips be submitted in the same minute
> would be remote.

I don't think so. A minute is sixty seconds, and sooner or later we'll have
two different users submitting tips less than sixty (or even thirty) seconds
away from each other. Even adding the seconds to the ID doesn't clear the
problem, it lowers the probability but doesn't make it zero. With enough
Vimmers adding tips, sooner or later there'll be a clash.

If the odds are a million to one against something occurring, chances
are 50-50 it will.

I still think we could automate it with a cron job.  It doesn't have
to be run on wikia.  I don't think it would be that hard to scrape and
moving a tip is even simpler.  So you just move all the tips created
since the last run of the cron job and move them to "$id - $title"

-fREW