On 5/18/07, John Beckett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> Wouldn't it be enough to set up the main tip page with a
> tip _name_ (which would be the current "title" of the tip, or
> a disambiguation page if there are more than one tip with the
> same title), and have the tip _number_ (only for tips imported
> from Vim-online) refer to a redirect page, let's say "Vim tip
> 1" => "The super star"? So the conversion script could convert
> "vimtip#1" to "[[Vim tip 1]]", which could be done
> mechanically, and the redirect would automagically resend
> anyone clicking that link to the actual page. I suppose that
> links pointing to the redirect pages could be readjusted
> later, in no hurry, either by hand or by a "wiki robot", and
> in either case with the help of the "What points here" page
> for the redirect.

Would someone who understands wiki procedures please describe
how the URL for a tip would be generated. What is actually
achievable? Can a URL be changed later without much effort?

Can we have a redirect as Tony outlines above?

I proposed devising a short id for each tip (like "super_star"
for tip 1), then using that tip_id in the URL.

That would avoid ugly URLs which would wrap in an email, or
which would contain stuff like %20, making the URL hard to read.

Is my concern (that we should avoid long ugly URLs) misguided?

John

%20's won't show up in a wiki.  If you make super_star the id, then
"super star" will also get to the same place.  That's what makes a
good wiki so nice.  Redirects do seem to be easy to do.  If we have a
page and move it to somewhere else, the old URL automatically
redirects to the new one.  If I understand what Tony is saying, it
would be pretty easy.

-fREW