It is important for us to have an easy way to refer to tips,
and the URL of each tip should be simple (and not wrap in an
email).

Below is some detail for a proposal to achieve this.
What does everyone think?

Have a script scrape tip titles from the current Vim Tips.
Create a plain text file with fields (say tab-separated):
 <tip_nr><tip_id><tip_name>

<tip_id> would initially be empty.

Example:
 Tip #1504: External commands on Windows
 http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=1504

would give line (':' represents '\t'):
 1504::External commands on Windows

I would edit this file (or maybe split it over three
volunteers). We would manually insert a short tip_id by
abbreviating tip_name. For example:
 1504:win_external_cmd:External commands on Windows

We would manually confirm (with a script) that the 1500
tip_id fields are unique.

The script to import each tip would read the above file:
- Use tip_nr to read the current tip.
- Use tip_id to make the URL of the new tip.
- Ignore tip_name.

The example URL might be:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/tips/win_external_cmd

Perhaps a contents page could list all tips:
 win_external_cmd    External commands on Windows

Where we might once have said "see tip 1504", we would instead
say "see tip win_external_cmd".

John