3D Acceleration works on VirtualBox.
I can do all the "Dirext X" 3D tests in a windows virtual machine,
I have also installed and played Quake III, which runs flawlessly.
So the drivers are working correctly.
By the way mine is a ATI X600 RV380 (X600) with 128 MB Ram

So lets forget about VirtualBox for a second, what is the easiest way
to test VirtualGL that normally always works

Is PBuffer really required to get virtualgl working?