Mixuno would see a temperature differential as you say, however what fraction
of energy introduced by the reaction is above the input energy of the
electrical pump and or other electrical inputs?    To get a COP you need the
steady state in-put energy to determine this.

Thus, the problem becomes one of determining the relationship between between
energy and the system temperature relative to ambient at a steady state
condition.  If the reaction energy is introduced totally as heat, the
determination should be pretty good assuming the calibration of the pumps input
energy is well known.

That calibration is the question that is being debated I believe.  In Mizuno's
test I believe the differential pressure that the pump put out  did not change
much; hence, the energy used should follow the specification for the pump in
the pump head curve  accurately.  However, if the reaction caused a significant
change in the differential pressure and, hence, the flow, such information
would be necessary to accurately extrapolate the total energy, pump plus
reaction to temperatures above that produced by the pump alone.

I agree with Dave's analysis of the energy  related to the flow changes in the
system.  However, they would only represent a portion of the pumps energy
output--frictional losses in the piping, pressure drops at nozzles etc, and
heat losses from the pump must also be added to confirm the pump head curve vs
power is accurate.  It seems that the Mizuno team should have accomplished such
an "in-house" calibration to confirm the vendor's specs.  While they were at
calibration, I would have used a known dummy electrical heater to determine the
temperature/energy input curve.

Bob