Stephen--

I am a little more positive about the significance of AP's results.   I would
say that the recent results confirm much of the Lugano test.

 I think that AP's test did not have the same control Rossi has developed, and
, hence the significant over-heating event.  Rossi has indicated that in his
R&D history there were many "over heating" events.  Hence, Rossi's control
mechanism was not confirmed.

Although not stated in the recent AP report, I assumed that AP did not intend
to destroy the reactor.  The event probably had a short duration--shorter  than
was necessary to quench the reaction.   This has an earmark of a nuclear
process which can happen so fast that energy is released before the materials
deform, changing the geometry supporting the reaction.

As Bob H has suggested, there is plenty of science to discover, including the
time constants of the destruction process.  AP might achieve good monitoring of
penetrating EM radiation via a window to the reactor internals, akin to what
Rossi described regarding his recent Quark-X test.

Experimenters should be careful!  The time constants are of utmost importance
for safety concers.

Bob Cook