More idle speculation. Wait until Penon's report surfaces and let's see what he really said. Presumably the flow meter goes on reading the running total and the average flow rate mentioned is simply the total divided by the number of days - less 10% that Rossi persuaded Penon to reduce the number by in order to be conservative.