Let me mention a real life occurance that I have witnessed.  The FCC requires
AM and FM transmitters to maintain their RF input powers at a certain level.
Many years ago I noticed that the technicians would take a glance at the
voltage and current meters every so often to enter that information into the
station log.  A properly operating transmiter system hardly varies at all, so
some guys would just copy the previous data into the log assuming that it
remained the same throughout the period.

I think of this behavior as the bored meter reading technician.  It appears to
be a form of complacency that typically takes place in many similar situations
in life.  Another is the guy that is on guard duty at a location that never
experiences problems.  Of course, most of the time all of these guys are going
to be fine.  But, on rare occasions, big problems can creep up and bite them in
the behind.

So, it would not surprise me too greatly to find that Penon became extremely
bored making the same readings day in and out until he placed data into the log
that assumed everything continued as it had for many long previous periods of
time.  I am not saying this would be a good policy for him to follow, but one
that might actually occur.  He likely gets bored just like everyone else.

I suspect that most folks would tend to perform in the manner described after
months of extreme boredom.  All the experimental data should not be dismissed
just because small portions might be in question.

Dave