On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Whoa, Eric. Since when does “logic” contradict experimental results? Where
> – precisely - is this fountain of logic that contradicts Holmlid’s real
> data? Isn’t every scientific breakthrough a contradiction of logic,
> almost by definition”?

I think you missed my point.  I do not deny the validity of experimental
results, in this case Holmlid's.  I question his conclusion that they're
explained by muons (and pions, etc.), which is an interpretation of his
experimental results.  (It is also possible his experimental results are
mistaken, but I do not have specific reason to doubt them at this point.)
 It seems to me that muons can be ruled out rather easily for various
reasons, in the same way that free neutrons can be ruled out as a mechanism
in LENR.  If one does not believe this is true, ok, then further
experiments can and should be done to eliminate them as a possibility, done
by people other than Holmlid, who has invested his reputation in there
being muons.

I did not intend to criticize you specifically, except to suggest that
sometimes you explore possibilities without adding qualifications, which
can be confusing for people who have not read a lot of your posts.  You
also often add qualifications, so it's not intended as a strong criticism.
My point pertained to others who un-self-consciously pursue a pure
engineering approach in which the claims of one inventor are simply chained
together with those of another inventor to obtain some far-out result.
With you, at least you're pretty good about pointing out that it's just
speculation.  With many people, there's no clear evidence that they know
that they're engaging in speculation, which can lead to long threads whose
initial premises, many emails back, were doubtful to begin with.

> I have my doubts about the muon data, like everyone else … mostly because
> it is revolutionary, since it appears to have been done correctly in
> practice - but no one to my knowledge has contradicted by experiment or
> failed replication, the real data of Holmlid; and until then, he should
> be given benefit of the doubt …

I always give inventors and experimentalists the benefit of the doubt with
regard to the signals that their instruments record.  I start out with
great skepticism for the interpretations they cook up to make sense of
those signals.  I suspect that Holmlid may be seeing something
LENR-related.  But to my knowledge has yet to engage someone with expertise
in measuring charged particle radiation to validate that he's seeing muons;
he continues to insist that an oscilloscope can be used to rule out other
possibilities; and he imagines that it's possible to come up with a new way
of detecting low energy muons without the benefit of a calibration source
of some kind to provide a cross check on his results.

Eric