From: Jones Beene
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2017 2:07 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:12 years from now

Here is a provocative audio clip which is an artful melange of two AIs -
HAL 9000 (From 2001) interacting with Samantha (from Her). The clip
presents the appearance of emotion and conflict deriving from different
programming styles. It also introduces the idea that the first AI
implementations, which are evolving from what we now call a "chatbot" or
IPA (intelligent personal assistant) will have emotional content,
whether we want that or not.

http://www.slashfilm.com/hal-9000-and-samantha-from-her-argue/

IBM's Watson computer is more than a chess wizzard and has been used as
the basis for chatbot-based educational devices (which kids prefer to
teachers) and then there is Siri and Cortana and Amazon's Alexa, are of
which are quite useful, even in relatively crude form... but they hint
at the near future. Imagine giving these a boost by four orders of
magnitude improvement - and we will be approaching a paradigm shift in
early AI which is far from the Singularity event, but worth planning for
(even saving for).

Using Moore's law dynamics, Sam/HAL as a commercial device in the early
but useful form of AI is possible the end of 2020. If you had to pick an
investment vehicle to exploit this early AI, Microsoft is low risk and
they are introducing a botbuilder software service this month, as we
speak. It is a Natural Language Understanding chatterbot offering called
OnlineBotBuilder. (I have no connection to MS and hate Win10 so this is
not a real endorsement). But I would love to have an intelligent
personal assistant so long as it was more like Samantha and less like
HAL. It would be lovely as open-source but the complexity seems to point
another way.