Kevin,

Storm's theory is partly right, but mostly lacking - and he has had little new to add this century... as is that of Chubb (partly right) and others including Takahashi, but they are mostly incomplete and let's face it - the field is dying.

Your balloon analogy is helpful as well but much more is needed. The theorists are mostly wrong because they have not given us a clue which leads to a robust experiment to scientifically prove the effect.

Here is the best experiment, sad to say.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RouletteTresultsofi.pdf

The intractable problem in cold fusion is that this "hero effort" - the very best result to have occurred in 28 years was itself little more than a yawner. People tend to forget that this result (almost 300 MJ of gain) was statistically very close to a null result in total (as an average) and it did not point the way to a useful device. The "Roulette" paper covers seven simultaneous runs of which 5 failed completely. They ran for a long time – up to 152 days… and the one with biggest net gain (the hero effort) did not see any excess energy at all for the first 60 days! No wonder funding dried up.

Fig. 7 of that paper shows that the average gain of the effort at about one watt (low average due to the failed runs).

So there you have it - the field of LENR is a dying angel... in need of a tourniquet, as they say.