Jed sez:

> Steven V Johnson wrote:

>> ...but that does not answer the principal question: How does one
>> verify its pedigree?
>>
>> For those of us (particularly me!) who may not be as quick witted as
>> you appear to be can you clarify how you went about verifying the
>> presumed legitimacy of this report?

> Ask the authors, I guess.

You guess???

> I am sure of the pedigree because the authors sent me the document.

That's a good point. Thanks for revealing that little tidbit. It helps
legitimize the source, at least for me. One would have to be an idiot
to presume all the authors had been systematically sent this "faked"
DIA document in a sinister plan to discredit the field of research. Of
course, the belief in such "conspiracies" runs rampant within certain
sectors of the UFO community.

> If you (or the skeptics at Wikipedia) are not sure of the pedigree,

Just to be clear on this point, I wish to clarify how best to answer
rabid skeptics. I suspect "Ask[ing] the authors" is not likely to be
seen as a definitive answer. ;-)

> I suggest y'all ignore the document. It is not all that important.
> I mean, it is a fine job and I am glad they wrote it, but there is
> nothing in that paper that Storms, McKubre or I have not said
> dozens of times before. It is hardly a revelation.

Surely you realize the DIA report is NOT about to be ignored.

> More to the point, you can independently confirm everything in it
> from the sources listed in the footnotes. Most of them are
> conveniently available at LENR-CANR.org. So what difference does it
> make whether this actually a fully approved policy paper from the DIA
> or not? You can see for yourself that it is well-sourced and
>  indisputable.

I certainly do not dispute this. However, and as I'm sure you know,
many skeptics use circuitous reasoning. They will refuse to accept the
basis of such information because they have already banned the
original sources of these reports from Wikipedia. It makes life
"easier" for them.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com