I wrote:

If it is about opinions then we can conclude that opinions have no bearing
> on cold fusion. Plus we can conclude that sociologists are unqualified to
> write about calorimetry, and they make fools of themselves when they try.

To put it more charitably, I guess what I am saying is that an analysis
based on sociology alone can only go so far. At some point you have to have
subject-specific knowledge. Let me illustrate this with an example from
anthropology, which I know a lot more about than sociology.

In college I took several semesters of anthropology, as you might expect
relating to Asia: India, China and Japan. This was a narrow specialty so
there usually a dozen grad students and undergrads. The grad students had
years of anthropology in various other societies and periods which gave them
some advantages. They already knew that there a range of different ways of
classifying relatives or paying for a new barn. In China or Japan they have
a rotating loan to village members and they also used to turn out the whole
village to help major construction (roof raising), the way American farmers
used to do.

If you want to understand the dynamics of traditional agriculture in Japan,
general knowledge of anthropology is helpful. But knowing conditions on the
ground in rural Japan, and knowing how to speak Japanese is a whole lot more
helpful! I found it even helped in understanding China, although the two
countries are as different as England and Italy, and I speak no Chinese. My
point is, you cannot divorce the study of anthropology from a specific
culture, place and time. It is never about things in general, but always
about how people act in some decade in some country.

The sociology of science may indeed have broad themes that can be discovered
by examining specific incidents, but you cannot sort out these themes
without some minimum understanding the technical aspects of whatever branch
of science you are using as a test case. Someone who thinks that tritium at
50 times background is a disputable result has no basis to judge what is
claimed, and no way of knowing who is blowing smoke up your ass, as it were.
It would be like trying to figure out pre-1965 Japanese agriculture if you
had no idea how rice is grown. If you did not know rice requires water
paddies (which are communal by nature), or the fact that until the 1970s it
could not be mechanized, and if you did not have other specific, mundane,
on-the-ground factual knowledge, you would be confused. You would not grasp
why people did things the way they did. You would come up with outlandish
theories to explain behavior that is no mystery to someone who knows how
people grow rice.

This goes for history and many other subjects, and also experimental
science, much more than theoretical science. Knowing how calorimeters work
-- and how they fail -- gives you insight into what is taking so long in
cold fusion. In Italy, someone asked Mike McKubre "why don't you look for
helium more often?" He said: "Because you have to seal the cell perfectly
and leave it sealed for weeks, and the day after you seal it, a wire
breaks." I can relate to that! It is much more demanding than regular closed
cell electrochemistry -- which is demanding enough. That's one of the
reasons Miles used the method of capturing effluent gas for a relatively
short period of time.

(Incidentally, if you want to learn a lot about how rice was grown
traditionally in Japan, see the movie "Seven Samurai." It is gift of future
undergrad anthropologists. It is probably the most authentic portrayal of
pre-modern Japanese agriculture ever made, or that ever will be made,
because those people in 1954 still had one foot in the pre-modern era.)