I meant to say:

Simon is interested in the process of "closure." And what he comes to with Undead Science is that there can be an apparent closure where an apparent scientific consensus arises, but there is "life after death," hence, undead science.

This is like saying there is no apparent scientific CLOSURE about evolution because the creationists STILL disagree.

"Closure" does not mean that a large group of people come down on one side or another. It shouldn't mean that, anyway. By traditional standards, closure happens when a definitive experiment is performed. Whether anyone pays attention to that experiment or not is irrelevant. Townes proved that masers can exist, and even though no one believed him at first, the issue was still closed. In my opinion, Simon is trying to overthrow traditional standards and substitute a blurry new-age version of scientific closure.

An experiment is objective proof that stands outside the human imagination. Simon would replace it with mere opinion. He does not even acknowledge that what he is describing -- closure, as he defines it -- is ersatz. It is a poor substitute that we must settle for when we cannot understand the experiments, or the experiments remain inconclusive, or no one tries to replicate them. Real closure is what happened at BARC when developed the autoradiograph x-ray film. Bingo! There's your answer. Case closed.

Many aspects of science are revolutionary, but one that appeals to me most -- that Francis Bacon emphasized -- is that it takes place outside our minds. It was the first great institution in which disputes are judged by standards divorced from culture and the human imagination. No individual or large group of individuals can appeal the judgement. A thermocouple reading, or a humble piece of x-ray film, outweigh the opinions of ten thousand scientists. Even if the x-ray film is lost, or suppressed, ridiculed and eventually forgotten, it will remains eternally right, and the scientists will be eternally mistaken.

Ideally, that is how it works. In actual practice we cannot escape from people's opinions and influence, but we strive to meet the ideal.

Look back at earlier institutions. Even the ones that depended on objective criteria, such as ancient Roman aqueduct technology, were still largely ruled by the opinions of powerful men and laws set by legislators. Where, when and how aqueducts were built was as much a political decision as a technical one. Power, money and influence held sway. The same is true of modern infrastructure and projects such as highway construction, the Space Station, a Tokamak, or a new weapon system. Objective criteria play only a small role. It does not matter whether a fighter airplane works well, or would be of any use in war. What matters is which congressional districts get the funding to build it.