At 09:09 PM 11/30/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
I wrote:

If it is about opinions then we can conclude that opinions have no bearing on cold fusion. Plus we can conclude that sociologists are unqualified to write about calorimetry, and they make fools of themselves when they try.

To put it more charitably, I guess what I am saying is that an analysis based on sociology alone can only go so far. At some point you have to have subject-specific knowledge. Let me illustrate this with an example from anthropology, which I know a lot more about than sociology.

Simon is interested in the process of "closure." And what he comes to with Undead Science is that there can be an apparent closure where an apparent scientific consensus arises, but there is "life after death," hence, undead science. Cold fusion did not die, in spite of massive opinion that it did. Simon published in 2002. The book contains some very good material on the history of cold fusion, and he does generally get the science right; in fact, I've seen no example where he failed. Do you have any?

Just remember, his goal is not to come to a conclusion about the reality of cold fusion. He's interested in the social process, or, more accurately, that's what he was writing his paper about, originally.

In college I took several semesters of anthropology, as you might expect relating to Asia: India, China and Japan. This was a narrow specialty so there usually a dozen grad students and undergrads. The grad students had years of anthropology in various other societies and periods which gave them some advantages. They already knew that there a range of different ways of classifying relatives or paying for a new barn. In China or Japan they have a rotating loan to village members and they also used to turn out the whole village to help major construction (roof raising), the way American farmers used to do.

If you want to understand the dynamics of traditional agriculture in Japan, general knowledge of anthropology is helpful. But knowing conditions on the ground in rural Japan, and knowing how to speak Japanese is a whole lot more helpful! I found it even helped in understanding China, although the two countries are as different as England and Italy, and I speak no Chinese. My point is, you cannot divorce the study of anthropology from a specific culture, place and time. It is never about things in general, but always about how people act in some decade in some country.

That's one perspective. There is at least one other....

The sociology of science may indeed have broad themes that can be discovered by examining specific incidents, but you cannot sort out these themes without some minimum understanding the technical aspects of whatever branch of science you are using as a test case.

Simon does seem to have that. Labinger? I saw no sign of it.

Someone who thinks that tritium at 50 times background is a disputable result has no basis to judge what is claimed, and no way of knowing who is blowing smoke up your ass, as it were.

It's not the job of a sociologist to determine what ratio to background is or is not disputable. Look, Jed, you know and I know that the criticisms of cold fusion were often preposterous, based on unwarranted assumptions. It went way beyond reason.

Okay, to a sociologist, this would be interesting. How are social norms developed? How did a fake consensus appear, because it obviously was not and never became a real consensus. With the classic pathological science issues, such as N-rays or polywater, there were quite conclusive refutations, not of the primary thing, but of the evidence that had been used to suggest the existence of the primary thing. The saw that you can't prove a negative is way off point. You can show that a reason to believe in a positive is defective. The reports of the N-ray observers were completely unreliable because when the mechanism was eliminated, the observers still "saw" the N-rays. A non-polywater explanation of the sluggish water was shown and confirmed through the spectroscopy.

But with cold fusion and the initial report, only half was ever convincingly refuted, there were merely some weak suspicions, such as "no stirring, hot spots." (I still wonder what the gamma detector was showing, did anyone every figure that out?) And then there were confirmations of excess heat in similar experiments. Sure, the high variability was worrisome, but some constants showed through, most notably heat/helium correlation and ratio. With those measurements, the variability turned into a control. No excess heat, no helium. Excess heat, helium, with the deviation being quite easily ascribable to isolated experimental error.

With true pathological science, there is a "die-hard effect," but it fades with time. Sold fusion did fade, for a time, but started coming back, perhaps as the significance of the early work started to sink in and spread, in spite of the general blackout. And new findings continued. The variety of these findings, in itself, is somewhat a part of the problem, there is an assumption on the skeptical side that if CF is real, there would be only one effect, only one pathway, only one reaction, with consistent behavior.

One more unwarranted assumption. The nuclear behavior of matter in the environment of deuterium confinement in a metal lattice had never been adequately studied; it had been assumed to be irrelevant, and phenomena that contradicted this were assumed to be simply unexplained variables, the kinds of odd incidents that never find explanations. Maybe a bad capacitor.... or some other unusual condition, electromagnetic noise affecting circuitry, etc. You know Mizuno's reports, of course. Apparently there were others as well.

Many scientists who should have known better were fooled. Why?

Could be wishful thinking! Only reversed. Much more convenient for their "expertise" if CF were all a big mistake.

Let me put it this way: if a scientist is willing to think that another scientist, with credentials, training, etc., is affected by "wishful thinking," then, rationally, he or she should recognize that his or her own opinions and reactions might be so conditioned. Sauce for the goose....

In any case, might as well say this here:

If the alleged failure to brew cups of tea is thought to be significant, how many cups of tea have been brewed by the hot fusion research?

I'm tempted to make a little plastic pouch so I could put some tea and some water in it, crank up the juice on one of my cells, and brew the tea with it. That's how silly that demand is. Of course, I can brew the tea. Is it excess energy? Well, I'd have to measure that, right? The tea itself would prove *nothing*. The way to show excess heat is by calorimetry, until the quantities are so large and so consistent that one can create some practical benefit. Which takes a high Q factor for most applications. Hot fusion, 0. Cold fusion has actually led to much higher Q factors than hot fusion.

It would be like trying to figure out pre-1965 Japanese agriculture if you had no idea how rice is grown. If you did not know rice requires water paddies (which are communal by nature), or the fact that until the 1970s it could not be mechanized, and if you did not have other specific, mundane, on-the-ground factual knowledge, you would be confused. You would not grasp why people did things the way they did. You would come up with outlandish theories to explain behavior that is no mystery to someone who knows how people grow rice.

That may apply to Labinger. Not to Simon.

This goes for history and many other subjects, and also experimental science, much more than theoretical science. Knowing how calorimeters work -- and how they fail -- gives you insight into what is taking so long in cold fusion. In Italy, someone asked Mike McKubre "why don't you look for helium more often?" He said: "Because you have to seal the cell perfectly and leave it sealed for weeks, and the day after you seal it, a wire breaks." I can relate to that! It is much more demanding than regular closed cell electrochemistry -- which is demanding enough. That's one of the reasons Miles used the method of capturing effluent gas for a relatively short period of time.

(Incidentally, if you want to learn a lot about how rice was grown traditionally in Japan, see the movie "Seven Samurai." It is gift of future undergrad anthropologists. It is probably the most authentic portrayal of pre-modern Japanese agriculture ever made, or that ever will be made, because those people in 1954 still had one foot in the pre-modern era.)

Nice.