At 02:45 PM 12/2/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Simon is interested in the process of "closure." And what he comes to with Undead Science is that there can be an apparent closure where an apparent scientific consensus arises, but there is "life after death," hence, undead science.

This is like saying there is no apparent scientific consensus about evolution because the creationists disagree.

Jed, I think you have some axe to grind here, because you aren't reading carefully. Your analogy is actually opposite to what I wrote.

The parallel with evolution is that an apparent scientific consensus formed that evolution is real. To some extent, work on alternate theories, if they can be justified by that name, continued. So we could call "creationism" "undead science." But the analogy breaks down, because there is very, very little "creationist" science, it is mostly criticism or polemic about the mainstream theory.

Whereas with cold fusion, the zombies are actually walking the streets. Scientists are performing real scientific experiments, doing standard analysis, reporting their work, verifying and validating each other. Supposedly cold fusion was "dead," but it wasn't.

There *was* an apparent scientific consensus. That isn't to be denied. But was there a *real* scientific consensus. It's obvious that there was not. That would be a consensus rigorously based on scientific principles, and such a consensus would be far more widely accepted. Cold fusion was always a factional dispute, and that one faction had serious political power and the other didn't has no bearing.

Had it been a real consensus, it would have continued to spread rather than merely influencing general opinion. Cold fusion researchers would have increasingly abandoned their efforts, not merely because of the obvious difficulties, but because they had become convinced that the effect was an illusion, probably by some conclusive demonstrations that the reported experiments had other explanations than LENR.

The argument is valid but a red herring that it's impossible to prove a negative. Rather, we suspect LENR because of certain positive signs. If those signs are shown to have other causes (not merely "possible explanations"), as happened with N-rays, for example, LENR would not have been disproven, as such, but it would most definitely had the rug pulled out from under it. There would be no reason to believe that it was real. That would take new evidence.

In the cold fusion "dispute," by late 1990 we had one side is playing by the rules, publishing papers and data, and making a solid case. The other side had run off the rails, abandoned the scientific method, and they were engaged in academic politics or in some cases a weird new form of religion. They have no legitimacy, and no right to be call themselves scientists any more than the flat-earth society or creationists do. The two sides are well represented in the debate between Morrison and Fleischmann:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanreplytothe.pdf

Yes. Except I wouldn't put it in quite such stark terms. It's obvious that the quality of Fleischman's reply greatly exceeded the quality of Morrison's critique. In particular, I was struck by Morrison's facile introduction of the palladium cigarette lighter, which released significant energy through, first, relaxation of pressure, the lighter being a rod of palladium pressurized with hydrogen gas, then through ignition of the hydrogen. But there was no pressurization in the experiment being criticized. So no initial temperature rise. And there would be little or no oxygen available to burn the evolved deuterium gas, at the cathode. At the same time, much deuterium gas would be being evolved by electrolysis as the cell approached boil-off.

Certainly consideration of recombination is in order. But the cigarette-lighter effect falls into the category of a highly speculative "explanation," one which raised far more questions than it answers. It's a bit like Shanahan's calibration constant shift. Sure, a possible source of error. However, large enough to explain the results across a wide range of experiments using different techniques?

Critics like Shanahan become sources of persistent invention of critiques. It's just as offensive as naive belief on the other side. Indeed, though, both belief and skepticism are essential to scientific progress.

For public policy decisions, though, the search should, at each point, be for the "most likely explanation." To determine that, it is not necessary to rule out and disprove completely every possible objection, and, indeed, there is no end to such possibilities, depending on how outrageous we are willing to be in proposing them. "Proving" LENR is the wrong approach, in fact. Rather, there are these effects, reported by so many researchers. What's the *most likely* explanation for them? Given the body of evidence, the streams of evidence that converge, it's obvious.

Nuclear reactions taking place under conditions previously thought impossible.

The brewing of cups of tea is totally irrelevant. As I've written before, I'm quite sure I could brew some tea with one of my cells. Just crank up the juice. The tea would prove *nothing*, because the question would be the source of the heat, not that tea was brewed. "Tea" is a great example of a neat polemic argument, a sound bite, that has the effect of convincing many that a position is reasonable. Great politics. Bad science. Cold fusion may never, from true excess heat in a practical application, brew a single cup of tea. And that has nothing to do with whether it exists or not. In order to get a true cold-fusion brewed cup of tea, I'd need to establish "ignition" in the hot-fusion sense, and have set up conditions where this ignition wasn't literally igniting deuterium with oxygen, perhaps shown by the duration of the effect.

McKubre, in the CBS special, claimed that "we could have brewed many cups of tea," and he's probably right. With some cells. Garwin modified his challenge to make it more difficult. "And then another." Again, polemic sound-bite. If one truly brews a cup of tea from excess heat, such that the single cup was clearly from that, if the effect only lasted that long, it would still be very significant. Cold fusion is not perpetual motion, is it?

Or look at the DoE 2004 Reviewer #15.

If that sounds elitist, I make no apologies. I am an elitist when it comes to technical expertise. Legitimate experts often disagree about complex subjects, but this is not a particularly complex subject. When it comes to calorimetry, for example, it makes no sense to give equal weight and equal respect to Duncan and Garwin (as they did on "60 Minutes"). Garwin is talking nonsense and lying though his teeth about his own Pentagon report. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/News.htm#CBS60minutes

Yes. So? Garwin is doing a very human thing, attempting to hold on to his dignity in the face of a huge mistake he made long ago. He could change his position in history by taking a fresh look, but he may be incapable of that. How old is he?

It's not the job of a sociologist to determine what ratio to background is or is not disputable.

Imagine Simon were writing about biology, and he casually mixed together claims by biologists with those of creationists, giving them equal weight as if both were legitimate science. His book would be panned.

Sure. But that's not what he did. Let's imagine his book was about creationism and biology. What's the topic? Biology? No. Simon's book may appear to be about cold fusion, and it certainly includes a lot of information about cold fusion *research*, but it's not a science book. The purpose isn't to explore and explain the science of low energy nuclear reactions. The purpose is to examine the nature of the controversy, of the disconnect between a claim of scientific closure and the reality of continuing research. It's a valuable purpose, all on its own, Jed. And Simon documents it very well.

He did not "casually mix together" claims, "giving them equal weight as if both were legitimate." He reports what he has of the facts, i.e., for his field, what people have said and written and what can be observed of their behavior. His topic is people, not cold fusion, per se.

And I found his book to be invaluable as a source for positive information about cold fusion. Don't even think of putting him in the same category as Labinger, whose examination is very shallow and superficial and who does obviously swallow the anti-CF propaganda. Simon doesn't, at all. And, of course, he had a little hands-on experience with CF experiments. Look, Jed, Simon's actually on our side, even though he seriously attempted to maintain neutrality.

But his story is valid whether CF is real or not. Suppose, Jed, for a moment, that we have all somehow been fooled by some deceptive evidence. Suppose that LENR, other than the known exceptions, does not exist. The rejection of cold fusion would still be very, very wrong, because it would have been premature, rejection was accepted for reasonst that had little to do with science and that, in fact, were another form of wishful thinking, the wish that this inconvenient upset of everything we thought we knew would just go away -- to the extent that this upset was accurate, it wasn't actually an upset of known science, merely of some assumptions -- this hazard to our pet projects, very expensive big science projects, in hot fusion.

He should at least make it clear that his book is not about an actual, legitimate scientific dispute: it is about a dispute between scientists and a group of irrational nitwits.

He couldn't do that, Jed, and you should know why. It is not about either of those. For his purpose, the sociology of science, it matters not at all whether the dispute was "legitimate" or not. How does the scientific community address disputes?

Cold fusion is a very good example of how it did so very dysfunctionally, resulting in an apparent closure that wasn't a scientific closure at all, but simply a social phenomenon. Simon makes this very, very clear.

Simon often presents enough of the evidence on the CF side that the reality of CF would be apparent to someone for whom that's the concern. In his 2002 book, he presents the heat-helium ratio, for example, noting that this was confirmed by more than one group, whereas that evidence was completely glossed over by the 2004 DoE review, and has certainly been neglected by the body of criticism, with only occasional phony objection regarding ambient helium and leakage -- which wouldn't explain the results at all.

Anyone who takes seriously the notion that tritium at 50 times background is marginal is more or less as ignorant as a creationist who thinks that Darwin claimed monkeys sometimes have human children. (That is an actual claim, albeit from the fringe of creationism. In my opinion, the misunderstandings and ignorance of people like David Lindley of Nature are as bad as this.)

It's a human failing, to allow weak evidence on one's own side while objecting to strong evidence on the other side. Happens all the time, Jed.

To move beyond that, we need to suspend conclusions and attachment to prior conclusions entirely, and examine all the evidence. It's easiest to do this in groups, and cooperatively, with a common goal of finding consensus. But if people don't even talk to each other because of highly negative views of who "they" are and what "they" think, it doesn't happen.

It would be interesting to see a seminar where some people like Morrison and Fleischman explored the issues around that calorimetry paper, with a group of highly knowledgeable people participating, to determine what issues are real and what are polemic and superficial. It has to be done one small step at a time, because if one tries to find agreement on large issues without finding agreement on small ones, one narrow issue at a time, it's impossible. It takes a lot of time, in fact, which is the main reason it doesn't happen more often.

But there are ways around that problem.