Now I am sort of on home territory, as I do genetics as a day job.

We have very few commented out genes (apart from a reasonable number of genes for olfactory nerves, our sense of smell would appear to of less importance to us than it is to our ancesters, so they do appear to have been commented out). The genes themselves are just a small part of the story. What is more important is how they are turned on and off, and in what way they are turned on and off, and that is what the much of the rest of the DNA is involved with. How it does it and the role of any specific part of the DNA is still very unclear. The information is clearly distributed and redundant. But that is where you find the information that tells the often very generic genes to express themselves in order to make gills, or arms.

I'll let you know if I find a copyright statement. I spend quite a lot of time browsing through the DNA looking for anomalies.

Nigel