I wrote:

I would be surprised if the answer to the second question [Is it possible
> under any circumstance for an NiH system to operate at or above 600 C?] were
> unequivocally negative; it is possible to think up scenarios in which the
> nuclear active environment rarely reaches the melting point of nickel, even
> with a low-grade reaction proceeding.

I just happened upon a writeup by Stan Szpak, from SPAWAR, and others,
concerning the PdD co-deposition process he pioneered, in which palladium
is electroplated on a gold or copper or similar base.  The SPAWAR video I
have referred to elsewhere, which shows a number of bright hot spots
rapidly appearing and disappearing against a red and blue background, is of
one of these assemblies.  What the authors have to say about it sounds
similar to what Guenter guessed might be going on, where a small region
destructively melts, or, in their words, explodes:

The ‘hot spots’ observed in the infrared imaging experiments are suggestive
of ‘miniexplosions’ (Figure 1b). To verify this, the Ag electrode on a
piezoelectric transducer was used as the substrate for the Pd/D
co-deposition. If a mini-explosion occurred, the resulting shock wave would
compress the crystal. The shock wave would be followed by a heat pulse that
would cause the crystal to expand. In these experiments, sharp downward
spikes followed by broader upward spikes were observed in the piezoelectric
crystal response. The downward spikes were indicative of crystal
compression while the broader upward spikes are attributed to the heat
pulse and the consequent crystal expansion following the explosion.
http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSlenrresear.pdf

So there may be no reason to try to think up a nuclear active environment
that is long-lived; it is possible that the NAE (if things can be
generalized, here) typically explodes and goes away, with the reaction
continuing on elsewhere in the substrate.

Eric