On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

 If we are smart enough to make an economy worthy of our technological
> genius, then every person on earth will be fabulously wealthy by present
> day standards. Every person will be free to do anything he or she pleases,
> every day of her life, the way a multimillionaire is today, or the way
> Thomas Jefferson was. This should be the birthright of any person born on
> the Earth or anywhere else in the solar system. Every baby should be
> welcomed with all food, water, education, Internet access and
> transportation he or she wants, for a lifetime, just for showing up.

I agree very strongly with this description.  My own personal issue (and
you may not be addressing comments that I have made in the past) lies not
in rewarding innovation.  It lies in overcompensation and the setting up of
a system of extracting rents.  An outcome I see very likely is this:  one
or more patents will stick and be enforced at some point, and manufacturers
in poor countries will find it harder to build on top of LENR technology
without paying the license fees, either raising the cost of their products
for people who can ill afford to pay the additional price or denying an
international market for their products.  You see a similar dynamic with
genetically modified seed.  Such an arrangement, if allowed to form with
LENR, would be a tragedy in my opinion.  For this reason I will not lose a
second of sleep if any and all patents relating to the fundamental LENR
processes can be systematically undermined; indeed, it is a cherished hope
of mine that this can be brought about.  I see the USPTO's refusal to
consider LENR patents as a windfall.

I am not against hardworking, innovative (and sometimes paranoid) people
being rewarded handsomely for their efforts.  I'm against trillions going
to some while others who can barely afford a meal must pay more for
electricity as a result of patent enforcement, even if the license fees are
amortized over a large population.

Eric