Eric,

thanks for the reference,
That is exactly the point.
As far as I can remember there are similar reports from eg Piantelli and others.
What is missing is the conclusions in a wider context.

Which actually should be intuitively plausible:

If a LENR-reaction starts, it produces A LOT of energy at a certain spot.
My back-of the napkin estimates go in the order of magnitude of from 1000 to
10k base-material-atoms involved.
Remember: 1k Ni-Atoms are a cube of approx 5nm^3.

This zone heats up in a sub-microsecond-scale, and most probably melts or even
explodes, ie releases local energy via a gaseous phase, the rest simply melting
and possibly/probably losing its capability to start up another reaction,
because it is structurally 'kaput'.

Most of the evidence for LENR comes from quite low-key energy release, which
must have a reason.
My guess is, that these low-key reactions as maybe the MIT experiments do NOT
cause melting or even explosions.

We have a problem here: such low-key reactions are commercially uninteresting.
So there is a need to prop up this meager evidence, and make a midge -at least
in its current state-  appear like an elephant.

Decent, humble scientifically oriented minds consider that, and are not
distracted by possible billions.
So I listen more to the humble side , and not subjects or entities driven by an
illusion of grandeur and big profit.

It is enough that we have those artists in the financial business. No need to
have them in the scientific/technological sector also.

Guenter