My question is not about Lewis.  It is about the apparent rejection of
basic scientific protocol by those who admitted Lewis's critique for
publication in supposedly "scientific" journals.

It is not an arcane bit of scientific philosophy that full disclosure of
experimental method is required by scientific protocol.  At the point that
P&F held their press conference, and even subsequent to the early working
paper, the P&F phenomenon had not been admitted to the domain of science.
 The P&F phenomenon did not enter the domain of scientific discourse until
a year later.  It was proper for Nature to reject the papers debunking
Lewis's critique because Lewis's critique was not legitimately published in
the first place.  The proper response by the editors of Nature should have
been to issue an erratum withdrawing Lewis's critique from publication.

Of course, when Oriani's experimental results, with full disclosure of
their methods, was approved by Natures peer reviewers, the rejection by
Nature was outrageously unscientific -- albeit not criminal.  Criminality,
however, is properly imputed to those with public trust and authority who
allows these shenanigans to influence public policy.

At the time Lewis's those who took Lewis seriously.