Recently, Peter published in his blog his reasons for hoping that the NAE
aren’t cracks. After considering it, I believe he misses the uniqueness,
durability, and beauty of the cracks that are being considered.

To the uniqueness point…  Consider that a crack is different than just two
surfaces in close proximity. A crack is like a horn with a throat of minimum
gap: the lattice spacing.  Imagine the throat at x=0 with the crack surface
spacing widening as x increases.  The crack provides a unique environment in
its smallest regions.  Near x=0, the environment for a hydron asymptotically
approaches that of the lattice.  In this region, electron orbitals extend
across or at least into the crack.  Perhaps in this near-lattice spacing there
is only room for an H+ ion (the case for Ni, but for Pd there is room at the
lattice spacing for a neutral monatomic hydron).  As x increases, the crack
surface spacing (the gap) increases allowing room for neutral monatomic
hydrons.  At greater x, the crack spacing would support neutral H2 molecules,
and beyond this, the crack is probably uninteresting.  This unique gradient of
hydron boundary conditions always exists in the crack near it throat (near
x=0), even if the crack were to begin zipping itself open.

To the durability point…  In my past I had occasion to work with MEMS
structures.  When I first saw MEMS cantilever beams being used for switches and
other functions, my first thought was, “Those are going to break!”  What I
learned was that a structure’s strength is inversely proportional to its size.
So a building scaled twice as large will be half as strong.  This is why you
can drop an ant from as high as you wish and he will hit the ground running.
Compare a 3 meter diving board (cantilever) to a 3 micron cantilever – the 3
micron cantilever will be a million times more robust.  The cracks being
considered for NAE are nanoscale cracks, but our natural experience is with
cracks having dimensions of ~1cm.  A 10nm crack, will be a million times more
mechanically robust than a 1cm crack.  At the nanoscale, the two split apart
surfaces will be very stiff and behind the throat of the crack (x<0) there will
be compression forces trying to restore the crack to its closed position.  The
surfaces may also experience a Casimir closing force.  A nanoscale crack will
have strong forces trying to heal itself.

If nanocracks can heal, then how would the nanocrack form in the first place
and what could keep the surfaces apart?  I believe a wedge of atom(s) or
molecule(s) is needed in the gap to keep the crack open, and perhaps to form it
in the first place.  That is why I am using nanoparticles that will alloy with
Ni and then I am oxidizing the structure.  I use iron oxide nanoparticles.  I
put down the oxide nanoparticles disposed all across the Ni micro-powder
surface, reduce (or partly reduce) the surface so the iron nanoparticles can
alloy with the Ni, and then go back and strongly oxidize the metals.  When the
iron oxidizes, it grows in volume and I hypothesize that it will wedge open a
nanocrack.  If the iron is then partly reduced it becomes an H2 splitting
catalyst, right at the site of the crack.

What a beautiful structure I imagine that to be – a nanocrack with a sweep of
hydron boundary conditions with an H2 splitting catalyst at its mouth.

Bob