I discount Goat's hypothesis for the following reasons:

As shown in figure 10 they split the reactor IR camera image into 10
segments plus the ends. They record the temperature for each segment. As
shown in the photograph, some segments were incandescent and others were
not. If incandescent segments showed up erroneously being much hotter than
the other segments, I suppose they would notice this discrepancy. Alumina
has "good thermal conductivity:"

http://accuratus.com/alumox.html

My point is, if the surface really is ~750°C (meaning there was no excess
heat), that temperature would show up in the dark segments. The
incandescent segments would show up as considerably more than 1200°C, to
make the average around 1200°C. Such a huge temperature difference is not
possible. They would know that is a bogus reading.