On 08/09/2005, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

But you have to agree it is much easier to stay up-to-date if you work in the field every day and actually practically implement new technologies. If a company looks for new staff members they will think twice before employing somebody who has got no practical experience in the field. For a good reason - you might have read a book about it, but you don't know it until you have done it. Teachers at University/Tafe/Highschool do not have the opportunity to try out what they learn, yet they still have to stand infront of the students confidently and teach them an ever-changing technology. That's
bloody hard!

Developers learn something in theory, try it out practically, and if it doesn't work they will keep on trying as the go along until they understand it. Maybe I am just a practical kind of person, but that's the way I see it.

On the other hand, even when I was working as a freelance developer and often flat to the boards trying to meet a deadline, I still made an effort to put aside some time each day to read up on the latest ideas and techniques and try to put them into practise is a private sandbox. When I couldn't make them work, I wrote to lists like this one and asked advice. When I finally had then nutted out and understood them, then I could put them into practise in future projects.

I can't see why it wouldn't be the same for teachers. I mean, English and Literature teachers need to read the texts they will be taking their class through so that they are familiar with the material. When the way of approaching mathematics changed (my mother has told some highly amusing anecdotes about being a student during the shift to "new maths" back in the late 60s/early 70s) all the maths teachers would have had to go out and learn the new approach and new techniques so they could teach their students. Why can't the same be said of Web Development teachers?

Cheers,

Seona.