On 10/23/05, Brian Del Vecchio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris accidentally pasted the wrong link.  The del.icio.us review is here:

Thanks :)

> Even with the most minimal design and limited feature set, del.icio.us
> appears to have a posting rate that's orders of magnitude higher than
> any other competitors.  (I haven't measured this myself).
>
> One conclusion that might be drawn from this is that if the real value
> of social bookmarking is the wisdom of the crowd, then the size of the
> crowd is more important than the graphic design--even the interface
> design.

This is what I'm interested in. I was talking about del.icio.us with a
friend last night and the interesting facet of social software that
instead of creating an artificial value of scarcity, social networks
like del.icio.us are one of the few things that actually get better as
it gets larger. I believe this will be true even if/when the
stereotypical grandmas and the [EMAIL PROTECTED] are storing their links here
too.

But I know that's debatable, as is the potential benefits and costs of
the crowds Brian refers to, so I'm curious what those building
del.icio.us are hoping for (ideally).

> Also, it's pretty clear that social bookmarking is a frontier
> inhabited mostly by early adopters.  Who knows what might tip things
> in th other direction?

Backchannel, someone mentioned Flock as one of those projects. I
wonder if the real frontier doesn't lie a but more removed... for
instance, some kind of shared schema for social bookmarking that would
allow the services to interact. Maybe what we need most is a bookmarks
version of RSS that everyone could more easily tap into so the whole
space could explode.