Thank you, Marcos.

I'm getting lost in the discussion as it goes in two separate
threads/groups (IAccessible2 one and SVG groups).

I buy Doug's argument [1] that non browser SVG tools may not implement
HTML, but still they are keen to support ARIA to make their products
accessible. This argument can be a justification for ARIA figure role
I think.

Having said that, I'm adherent to the idea of re-using HTML elements
in SVG documents. The author should be able to use standard HTML and
SVG blocks to make the content accessible. <foreingObject> perhaps is
not the most convenient structure to embed HTML into SVG, but it
works, which makes ARIA role='figure' less valuable in the browser's
word.

I don't think that ARIA role='figure', implemented in the browsers,
may harm anyone, I'd be interesting though to hear from other browsers
on this topic.

Rich, I think ARIA role='figure' should have same IAccessible2 mapping
as HTML figure element has, which is ROLE_SYSTEM_GROUPING and
xml-roles:figure object attribute.

Thank you.
Alexander.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Sep/0053.html