Yeah, it's definitely harder if the barbed wire angles outward... and it's
a lot scarier looking when you get up there, so you're less likely to try
it.

But yeah, there's a big difference between the kind of criminal that cuts
open, (or even climbs) a fence to steal stuff and the type that just
wanders into an open lot and starts walking off with stuff.