On 12/9/02 7:13 PM, "Pei Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On this issue, we can distinguish 4 approaches:
>
> (1) let symbols get their meaning through "interpretation" (provided in
> another language) --- this is the approach used in traditional symbolic AI.
>
> (2) let symbols get their meaning by grounding on textual experience ---
> this is what I and Kevin suggested.
>
> (3) let symbols get their meaning by grounding on simplified perceptual
> experience  --- this is what Ben and Shane suggested.
>
> (4) let symbols get their meaning by grounding on human-level perceptual
> experience --- this is what Brooks (the robotics researcher at MIT) and
> Harnad (who raised the "symbol grounding" issue in the first place)
> proposed.

I can be put pretty much in the (2) camp.  This is adequate for proving the
basic capability of the system and you can incrementally add (3+) later.  I
mostly view this as a pragmatic engineering issue though; no need to
unnecessarily complicate the test environment until you can prove the system
is capable of handling the simplest environment.  It is a much easier
development trajectory unless you believe that (3) or (4) are an absolute
minimum for the system to work at all (obviously I don't).

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]