On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Pei Wang wrote:

> On this issue, we can distinguish 4 approaches:
>
> (1) let symbols get their meaning through "interpretation" (provided in
> another language) --- this is the approach used in traditional symbolic AI.
>
> (2) let symbols get their meaning by grounding on textual experience ---
> this is what I and Kevin suggested.
>
> (3) let symbols get their meaning by grounding on simplified perceptual
> experience  --- this is what Ben and Shane suggested.
>
> (4) let symbols get their meaning by grounding on human-level perceptual
> experience --- this is what Brooks (the robotics researcher at MIT) and
> Harnad (who raised the "symbol grounding" issue in the first place)
> proposed.

I believe Cyc presently fits the first approach, as Cyc does not currently
learn from experience, nor does it yet learn from reading text.  However,
I and others at Cycorp desire to move Cyc development in the direction of
approach (2).

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org