Okay, I am bored, or maybe just lazy today, so please let me weigh in and
ramble a bit:

Vectors and scalars are great, and may be the best route to learning for a
given system, but it hardly seems obvious that they are a prerequisite to
learning for an AI that exceeds general human intellectual capacity.  I was
a chemical engineer in one of my former lives, and I can say that vectors
are definitely more lovable than the criminal defendants I was appointed to
represent in my former life as an attorney.  The defendants were mostly
interested in the rather binary guilty vs. not guilty.

Retinas have pixels don't they?  Perhaps our perception of scalars is
actually recognition of patterns in discrete points.  You could readily make
an image people recognize as a circle, using only pawns as discrete points
on a chessboard.

Wouldn't chess be a domain where an AGI could learn and excel, with no
vectors or scalars in sight?  Much of what is fundamental is binary: on/off,
dead/alive, male/female, married/single, smile/frown, and so on.

A miss is a good as a mile.

 . . . Kevin C.

P.S. To me a key fundamental is "Artificial Motivation."  Give an entity the
desire to accomplish goals, plus tools to use, then the ability to learn.

Example:  I was hungry, but now am full.  I wanted to reproduce, and
satisfied that urge.  Now I am tired of thinking, and want to consume more
of that wet fermented grain to stop the process for a while.  Ahh,
cultivating barely to make beer is good.  Oops, inadvertently founded
civilization.

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]