One other observation I forgot to mention:  Several people brought up the
desirability of some kind of benchmark problem area to help compare the methods
and effectiveness of various approaches.  For a bunch of reasons I think it
will be difficult to define such things in a way that researchers will pay
attention to, but if it could be done (either as simply a commonly-understood
point of reference for discussions or as a "grand challenge" or anything in
between) it would be very neat, and in my opinion beneficial to the field as a
whole.

I have a suggestion for such a task:  figuring out how to operate the
buttons-and-light system that determines whose turn it is to talk during panel
discussions.  It may be too ambitious though, as clearly it requires superhuman
intelligence (har har har).