Thanks for the comments from Derek and Bob!

Here are some assumptions made when planning AGI-08:

(1) As the very first conference in the field, it should play an
important role in the forming of the community, which means to let the
researchers know each other. For this reason, it was decided to have a
single track, rather than parallel ones; also, to let more people
talk, rather than to give some speakers more time. By doing that, we
paid the price of longer talks.

(2) Since all the papers are on-line one month in advance, it was
decided to avoid the traditional "paper reading/summarizing" talks,
but ask the speakers to make short talks that go beyond the papers and
make connections to other talks. Also, non-speakers were given more
chances to make comments. The price paid here is "in depth"
descriptions and discussions.

Of course, no format is perfect, but the overall responses from the
conference attendance to this experiment seems to be positive (please
correct me if some of you got a different feeling when left Memphis).
I'm sure the AGI-09 organizers (I'm not one of them) are listening,
and will do a better job by learning from people's comments.

It is nice to have the videos, audios, photos, and transcripts, but
believe me, there were other nice aspects of the conference that are
not captured in them. For example, the long coffee breaks allowed many
interesting exchanges, plus the reception, lunch, dinner, etc. You do
need to come in person to have all the fun. ;-)

Pei