Vladimir Nesov:> I think sterile texture of "artificial" environments hides
the> richness of their structure from our intuition, since we already have> it
imprinted by experience with the real world. Anything less than> capable of
dealing with the real world won't understand "cleaned up"> environments also.

+1.

John Rose:

> Which actual world, a natural or manmade?

Both, at least up to the present day.  In my opinion (though I know from your
environmental complexity of the land on which New York City sits now vs 1000
years ago.  I did not grow up, nor do I live, in a mostly featureless box.

I do agree with your more general point that SOME of the brain's functionality
does not have to be duplicated in silicon to achieve AGI.  Whether it is a
significant fraction, and whether it would need to be replaced with some other
functionality, seems like a hard question to me.