Actually, the nuclear spins in the rock encode a single state of an ongoing
computation (which is conscious). Successive states occur in the rock's
counterparts in adjacent branes of the metauniverse, so that the rock is
conscious not of unfolding time, as we see it, but of a journey across
probability space.

What is the rock thinking?

" T h i s   i s   w a a a y   o f f   t o p i c . . . "

Josh

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 05:05:05 pm, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> --- On Tue, 6/3/08, John G. Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Actually on further thought about this conscious rock, I
> > want to take that particular rock and put it through some
> > further tests to absolutely verify with a high degree of
> > confidence that there may not be some trace amount of
> > consciousness lurking inside. So the tests that I would
> > conduct are -
> >
> > Verify the rock is in a solid state at close to absolute
> > zero but not at absolute zero.
> > The rock is not in the presence of a high frequency
> > electromagnetic field.
> > The rock is not in the presence of high frequency physical
> > vibrational interactions.
> > The rock is not in the presence of sonic vibrations.
> > The rock is not in the presence of subatomic particle
> > bombardment, radiation, or being hit by a microscopic black
> > hole.
> > The rock is not made of nano-robotic material.
> > The rock is not an advanced, non-human derived, computer.
> > The rock contains minimal metal content.
> > The rock does not contain holograms.
> > The rock does not contain electrostatic echoes.
> > The rock is a solid, spherical structure, with no worm
> > holes :)
> > The rock...
> >
> > You see what I'm getting at. In order to be 100% sure.
> > Any failed tests of the above would require further
> > scientific analysis and investigation to achieve proper
> > non-conscious certification.
>
> You forgot a test. The postions of the atoms in the rock encode 10^25 bits
of information representing the mental states of 10^10 human brains at 10^15
bits each. The data is encrypted with a 1000 bit key, so it appears
statistically random. How would you prove otherwise?

http://www.listbox.com/member/?&;