Mark,

That is thanks to Godel's incompleteness theorem. Any formal system
that describes numbers is doomed to be incomplete, meaning there will
be statements that can be constructed purely by reference to numbers
(no red cats!) that the system will fail to prove either true or
false.

So my question is, do you interpret this as meaning "Numbers are not
well-defined and can never be" (constructivist), or do you interpret
this as "It is impossible to pack all true information about numbers
into an axiom system" (classical)?

Hmm.... By the way, I might not be using the term "constructivist" in
a way that all constructivists would agree with. I think
"intuitionist" (a specific type of constructivist) would be a better
term for the view I'm referring to.

--Abram Demski