On 8/2/22 10:32, Jose M Calhariz wrote:
On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 12:27:26PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Am 02.08.22 um 10:06 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
Am 02.08.22 um 09:44 schrieb gene heskett:
On 8/2/22 01:40, Winston Sorfleet wrote:
Much appreciated José, count me in as a beta tester.

Me too, but its been a while and this is a fairly fresh bullseye
install, and autogen
complains mightily, and quickly.

gene@coyote:~/src/amanda-tag-community-3.5.2$ ./autogen
See DEVELOPING for instructions on updating:
   * gettext macros
   * gnulib
   * libtool files
..creating file lists
..aclocal
config/amanda/libs.m4:160: warning: macro 'AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0' not
found in library
...aclocal patches
..autoconf
configure:46532: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0
        If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
        See the Autoconf documentation.
configure:46533: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
autoconf failed

And the fix is?

build-essential., debhejper and friends are installed.
As far as I learned from Chris Hassell, the new packaging scripts should
build packages for Debian with:

./packaging/deb/buildpkg

I am trying that for the branch "tag-community-3.5.2" right now in a
Debian-11.4-VM.

There is quite a list of needed packages to install, Chris told me:

gcc g++ binutils gettext libtool autoconf automake bison flex swig
libglib2.0-dev libjson-glib-1.0 libjson-glib-dev libssl-dev
libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev libreadline-dev perl-base
perl-modules libcpanplus-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libswitch-perl
bsd-mailx mtx procps smbclient dump gnuplot-nox xinetd

and some extra:

xsltproc build-essential debhelper fakeroot dpkg-dev dh-make-perl git
make gawk grep tar passwd

pressing SEND now, my build is still running
I was able to build packages for 3.5.2 after applying the fix mentioned in

https://github.com/zmanda/amanda/issues/185

Installing the packages over the packages coming from the Debian
repositories seems a bit tricky:

the new packages use the user "amandabackup", so far it was "backup"

the path to amandad seems to change as well

I assume I can edit packaging/deb/rules to adjust that.

Unsure if that is a good thing to do.

The Debian packages from Zmanda follow the official documentation, the
Packages from Debian, aka now maintained by me, follow Debian
guidelines.  Upgrades between them is something that I do not try and
I do not expect good results.

There are patches to the build process and code to adapt the amanda
for the Debian guidelines.  I do my best to patch the documentation of
amanda on Debian, so there is no difference between what is
implemented and what is documented.

Kind regards
Jose M Calhariz

And where do I get the debian approved versions of 3.5.2? What is offered in the bullseye repo's is an older 1.3.5.1-7 that has not worked for me. Un-resolvable Dependencies.  And I was at one time, quite comfortable building from tarballs, been doing it since 1998.

But I had a complete meltdown last fall losing 20 years of history with the failure of
two new 2T seacrate drives in a 1 week span. End of spinning rust here.

So my rebuild is now 100% 1T Samsung SSD's, 4 in a raid10 for /home. With a .5Tb as /, + 1 500GB SSD for dump buffer, and I can get more of the 1T's for a raid10 for amanda.  If I
can get it to work...

Thank you Jose, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)