On 9/15/22 03:08, Diego Zuccato wrote:
Il 14/09/2022 19:00, gene heskett ha scritto:

Waiting for 2T SSD's to become affordable, if they ever do.Depends on your definition of "affordable".

I bought 2 2TB NVMes at about 300€ each... But SSDs and NVMes have a quite "limited" life. Look at TBW numbers. Many SSDs and NVMes have some cache RAM for sectors that get rewritten very often, but backups tendo to be sequential so the cache is nearly useless. Once upon a time there were flash-backed ramdrives: controller + RAM + SSD + battery, all the flash contents fitted in the RAM, so the flash was never written unless the battery got discharged enough. Safe assumption: battery dicharging = host off = no ongoing writes. Needless to say the cost was really high and they where usually reserved for (parts of) databases.

This is where one needs to over-provision.  As an example, I have several rpi4 sized rigs doing dedicated jobs. Using 8GB cards that were over 50% used got me card failures quick enough to get my attention. These cards have internal housekeeping we can't see, designed to equalize the wear. So as an experiment the next card I composed for the rpi4 was a 64Gigger. This card gets way more than normal read/write traffic as it runs linuxcnc master, which is updated several times a week as development goes on. That card, and the cards in 2 more rock64's have been trouble free, the rpi4 for 4 years now, and my theory says its because they are way over-provisioned, the card has room to do its housekeeping with zero outward signs to let me know it is doing anything. Disk usage tools like df show no loss of capacity, yet in a typical week up to 3 gigs of it is wiped and rewritten. And has been since raspian wheezy on an rpi3. Same card. kernels and linuxcnc from git pulls, but that gets done on a 240G SSD plugged into a usb adaptor with only the results being written to the u-sd. But the 240G is
now at 50% used. How much longer will it last? IDK.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis