One more thing to consider here: to many users, Market is "Center of The Universe".

I believe from experience with my app that users see Market as the primary, often only way to interact with the application.

This explains why users often prefer to leave negative feedback rather than sending an email describing the problems they are experiencing and asking for help - despite email being very easy to access both in Market and in my application.

Expecting users to leave Market to check out an application's web site to find out more is just not very reasonable. It's a context switch that interrupts the flow of browsing Market for apps, and can be in itself be the reason that a particular application is passed over in favor of another.

Having a web site for an application is definitely a very good thing.

But a web site just is not the same thing as putting the information right in front of a prospective user in Market.

-- Kostya